When the waters of uncertainty rise in your life due to divorce, you don’t have to drown. No matter how bad things get or how confusing, you can keep your head above water. You may even learn to get out of the boat and “walk on water” despite your current circumstances.
6 Life Preserving Steps
- Learn – Learn all you can about dealing with and healing from divorce. Learn all you can about God. Find resources and people to help you learn.
- Ponder – Reflect on what you learn and the patterns you see in your life. What do YOU see you need to do to move beyond the past and on to a brighter future? (Not what you see that your ex needs to do.)
- Talk with God – Tell God what you think and feel about your life. Talk with him about your past, your present, and your future. Ask him to help you use what you are learning to cope with things you cannot change and to identify things you need to change.
- Believe – When Peter started walking on water toward Jesus he was just fine until he took his eyes off of Jesus and started looking at the water. Faith is important if you want to walk on the waters of divorce rather than drown in them.
- Listen – Open yourself to hear God. Be quiet several times each day and whisper “guide me God.” Be patient and tune into his guidance.
- Act – What concrete actions do you need to take based on what God is saying to you? Commit to appropriate actions based on this inspiration.
You Can Cope with and Heal from Divorce!
Learn and ponder. Pray and have faith that he hears you and will help you. Listen to his insights and act accordingly. Make it a way of life.
Healing from divorce is a daily journey until you reach your goal. Walking that journey with God is life-giving and far more effective that stumbling along on your own. If you start to sink again, and you probably will, reach out and take God’s hand. Never let go.
Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him (Peter).
Matthew 14:31 NIV
He’s waiting to catch you too!
“Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”
Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”
And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.
Matthew 14:29-33 NIV
About the Author…
Renee Smith Ettline has healed from divorce and has a calling to help you do the same. She is founder of After Divorce Ministries, LLC and author of the award-winning Christian self-help book, Peace after Divorce. Peace after Divorce offers practical help that supports coping with and healing from divorce as well as Christian inspiration through the Scriptures and is available through our bookstore.
More Resources to Help You with Separation and Divorce…
- “Five Keys to Healing from Divorce,” a Free eBook by Renee may be requested using the green circle on the top right of this page.
- Peace after Divorce Support Group & Workshops are offered in several states. Click the links below to learn more…